Wednesday 23 April 2014

Buying a Boat - part 4. The inspection


Without the sage advice and counsel of my trusted yacht broker I would never have made the trip to Cleveland.  I will elaborate more about the yacht broker in a later post but I was only in Ohio because I trusted his advice and opinion about the boat.

Cleveland is not the best destination city but we weren't there for nightlife .    My  potential future boat was nestled in a fenced compound in a less than desirable neighbourhood just outside the downtown core.   After overcoming the previous day's blizzard the plan was to get in, complete the mission and get out like we were a Special Ops team on a life or death assignment.  I agree I'm being overly dramatic but that was how it went down.  It wasn't life or death but even Navy SEALS don't have to deal with hungry, tired kids  fatigued from too many miles in the car and too many movies on a small screen.  It wasn't going to be pretty but it had to get done.  

Six hours of driving for a 1 hour  inspection.  This was like some kind of crazy speed dating.  Yachtworld listings are supposed to make the boat look as nice as possible but you never know until you walk the deck.   After seeing the boat I saw the good and the bad and I knew this much, I wanted a second date.

We then hit the downtown core of Cleveland for some food before hitting the road.  At the restaurant we were already discussing names for our new boat.  The deal wasn't closed but it was now "our boat".    Just a couple more steps along the road to make this boat show dream into a reality.  

Next Up  : Calling In the Surveyor .  




   

No comments: