Thursday 17 April 2014

I Bought a Sailboat. Sounds Simple Doesn't It?

Part 1 - Buying a Boat.

It has been about 20 years since I bought a boat.  That deal was done in 30 minutes with a handshake and cheque.  I knew the boat and had raced against her many times.  I knew the  owner and there was an unspoken trust that a fair price was paid for a good boat and nobody was taking a risk.   No survey, no certified cheque, no lawyers, no brokers and no third parties in the deal.  Simple.   That boat has been fun, exciting, challenging and rewarding.  It has paid dividends a 100 times over but most importantly the sailors I competed against became an  important part of my life.  Competitors, mentors, business colleagues,  and most importantly good and trusted friends.  I also met my wife of 15 years through the Thunderbird class but that is for another time - maybe.

Now with a family  of 4,  my priorities have shifted and I recently purchased a new boat for cruising.  The process was completely different from my earlier experience.     I fell in love with  a repossessed boat, in another country (USA) that was not build in a NAFTA country.   Having just returned from the marina where it was delivered tonight I finally feel at peace with my decisions.    Safely landed in Canada with all legal obligations met I can say I was not always certain I would get to this point as pleased as I am today.

If you are thinking of buying a boat in the US you will want to follow along as I share the story of this deal in bite size instalments.   

No comments: