Sunday 27 April 2014

Buying a Boat Part 6 - Yacht Brokers - the boat buyers best friend

In my first blog  about buying a boat I mentioned how  this deal was going to be more complex than my previous boat purchases.   With a cross border deal involving a repossessed boat there were a bunch of unknowns and I had a number of concerns like:
  1. Information about the boat 
  2. How to manage negotiations in a cross border deal 
  3. Title search on a repossessed boat
  4. Currency  fluctuations
  5. Transferring funds to close the deal
  6. Ontario retail sales tax
  7. Remitting duty for a non NAFTA boat
  8. Paperwork at the border and working with a  customs broker
  9. Transporting the boat from Cleveland to Ontario
  10. Sourcing parts for a boat built in German
All of these issues were handled seamlessly by my yacht broker.   When choosing a yacht broker I recommend   dealing with  an experienced  professional who lives by a professional code of ethics.     This means choosing a  Certified Professional Yacht Broker (CPYB).



My CPYB is Pat Sturgeon and his company is  Pat Sturgeon Yachts.    Pat and I have been boat show neighbours, done seminars  together, worked on industry committees, shared a drink or two and supported each other in business for over 20 years.   I consider Pat a friend but this was the first time I have relied on his professional services as a client.   I can't say enough good things about Pat and he exceeded my expectations at every opportunity.  

The main point I want to convey about a professional yacht broker like Pat is that he does a lot more  than just locate and sell you a boat.    In my case he removed all the complexity so the purchase was simple, seamless and fun.   That is how it should be for everyone buying a boat.

My professional yacht broker did a lot more  than just locate a boat and sell it...

If you have been clicking through internet listing and want to purchase a boat you should  call a yacht broker.   Finding the boat is just one step in the process.   It is all the other things yacht brokers  do that may make the difference between a good deal or an expensive mistake.  
As an added bonus  the buyer can access all of  this professional service and advice without any additional expense.   In most situations the yacht broker's commission is paid by the seller.    That is not why you should use a yacht broker but just know that cost is not going to be a factor.   A good yacht broker is looking to build a lifelong relationship with their clients.

**Full disclosure** - I am not being paid by or receiving compensation of any type from Pat Sturgeon Yachts or CPYB for this blog.    Pat doesn't even know I'm writing about my boat purchase.  I'm sharing this because it was such a positive experience want  to share my experience with others who may be considering a boat and deciding whether to use a yacht broker.   

Next Instalment - Insurance your new boat (you didn't think I would  skip that part did you?)

No comments: